San Jose Fort Chapel
Replica of the San Jose Fort Chapel (Capilla del Fuerte San José) at Bird Island (Isla de los Pájaros).
Seeking shelter from the open sea, Don Juan de la Piedra, Captain of the Nuestra Señora del Carmen frigate and leading a fleet of ships, entered the San Jose gulf, and founded what was later known as the San Jose Fort. In order to protect the Spanish sovereignty, the settlement built a chapel. What can currently be seen is a replica of the original, which had been build some 30 km away. Some recent studies suggest that the fort, built by Spain in 1779, was a replica of the Montevideo Fort in Uruguay.